Become an Advertiser

Irish National Stud, Co. Kildare


 
 

Established in 1946, the Irish National Stud combines an active role in the development and promotion of Irish bloodstock with its role as one of the country's major tourist attractions.

Irish National Stud

The farm at Tully, Kildare, which today is the home of the Irish National Stud, was purchased in 1900 from a local farmer James Fay by Colonel William Hall-Walker, a member of a wealthy Scottish brewery family. He decided, much against the wishes of his father, to breed thoroughbred horses at Tully.  Hall-Walker's views on breeding have been described as inspired, preposterous and eccentric. In 1945 the Irish National Stud Co. Ltd., was formed and it officially took over the running of the Stud on 31st of August 1946. Since then it has continued to expand and develop and is now a source of national pride and an international tourist attraction.

The Japanese Gardens
at Tully were created between the years 1906-1910. Devised by Colonel William Hall-Walker (later Lord Wavertree), a wealthy Scotsman of a famous brewery family and laid out by the Japanese Eida and his son Minorut. The Gardens, planned to symbolise the 'Life of Man', are now of international renown and are acclaimed as the finest Japanese Gardens in Europe.

St. Fiachra, Patron Saint of Gardeners,
In 1999 the Irish National Stud created a commemorative garden to St. Fiachra, Patron Saint of Gardeners, to celebrate the Millennium. It was designed by Professor Martin Hallinan, award winning landscape architect. He created a garden which presents visitors with a similar natural environment to that which inspired the spirituality of the monastic movement in Ireland during the 6th and 7th centuries

The Irish Horse Museum
The Museum is now a state of the art modern exhibition where the Sport of Kings comes to life.

Accessibility:
Main entrance is ramped and fully accessible
These are disabled car park spots available

Restaurant: Yes, fully accessible.

Disabled Toilet: Yes

Opening Hours
Full opening from 12th Feb 2007 - 12 November 2007.
7 days per week 9.30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Car Park locks at 6.30 p.m. SHARP
From 13 November to 23 Dec 2007
10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Last admission 3.30 p.m.

Closed from 23 Dec 06 until 12th February 2007.


Location:
Irish National Stud, Kildare Town Traveling on the M7 from Dublin

Use Exit 13 and go in the direction of Nurney on the R415 as far as Newtown Cross. (Distance from roundabout to Newtown Cross 0.4 miles). Turn left and continue to the T junction. For the business and horsebox entrance turn left and the electric gates are 100m on the right. For the tourism car park, turn right at the T Junction, drive a short distance and then turn left. The car park entrance is 200m on the left. Distance from roundabout to car park - 1.3 miles

Admission: One admission charge covers all four exhibitions

Contact:
Irish National Stud, Tully, Kildare, Co. Kildare, Ireland
Tel +353(0)45 522963 and +353(0)45 521617
Fax +353(0)45 522964
Website URL: http://www.irish-national-stud.ie


Guide dogs welcome  Disabled Parking  Ramp access  Toilet  Restaurant  Fully Accessible  Cafe  

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Please fill this field in ONLY if you're not human:
 

Accessible Ireland, Dublin, Ireland | CRO: 322454 | VAT: IE9755454H

Join us on Facebook Join us on Twitter Join us on LinkedIn